Chapter 12

"What is this?" Ji Won roared, holding up her edited first chapter. The thoughts of Aruba and the way he'd kissed her passionately while inside of her had disappeared the second she saw all the red comments Pil Suh had made beside her edits in blue.

After receiving the chapters from Shin, she'd already been on her way out when she took a peek at the contents of the envelope and recognized the first page. She'd pulled it out and there it was -edits of her edits. She turned around to face Shin who'd been walking her to the door.

He jerked back to avoid her hand and raised both of his brows. "What does it look like?" Depending on her reaction, it might prove to be hard to pretend he hadn't written those responses himself but he felt he was up to the challenge.


"He isn't expected to start editing till he's finished the entire book. He was only meant to incorporate my suggestions into future chapters."

Shin crossed his arms and shrugged. "So what? He didn't like them."

At the moment she opened her mouth the reply, they heard the roar of thunder and shortly after, the sound of heavy rain falling.

Ji Won sighed and scratched her head furiously. "Can this day get any worse?" And as if in response, her Shinhwa ringtone blared from her bag. "Excuse me," she said as she pulled out her phone. After reading the caller id, she frowned and muttered, "I guess this day can get worse."

She dropped the phone back into her bag and looked back at the manuscript in her hand but of course, the phone kept ringing.

"Aren't you going to answer it?" Shin asked curiously. Her disorientation was reminiscent of how she'd been the first day they'd met and he wasn't sure if he liked it or not. "You can always turn it off if you don't want to answer it."

She smiled at him wearily but didn't do anything. She would have loved to turn it off but since it was technically still work hours, she couldn't so as to make sure she was reachable by her work colleagues. "I'm sure he'll soon give up."

But unfortunately, he didn't.

So after the phone began to ring for the second round, she grabbed it, dropped her bag and the manuscript on the nearest surface then excused herself and walked a few feet away from Shin and next to the window. She flipped it open. "Yes?"

"Hey," Joon Young replied. "You haven't returned my call for over a week. So I decided to give try my luck again. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Do you need something?"

"Nothing much. I just want to call. You know I miss hearing your voice."

Ji Won sighed. Sometimes, she wondered if she was crazy for not blocking his number. There was a month that she'd spent almost every waking hour battling this ssue. She must have blocked and unblocked his number a hundred times but yet in the end, she'd decided to keep taking his calls.

He'd been a huge part of her life for so long and even though on most days, she felt that she was completely over him, there were those random moments, while she was driving or maybe even taking out the trash she'd suddenly feel a sharp pain in her chest and realize that she missed him.

"Ji Won ah," he said, breezily, "let's get back together. This girl I'm seeing… she's beautiful and sweet but it's not the same thing, you know? So let's stop wasting time and get married. I'll show up this time," he joked.

She groaned. Why did he insist on saying things he knew would annoy her? She was about to make a cutting remark when she glanced back and caught Shin looked at her curiously. She look a deep breath in and said, "Look, I'm with a client. Please don't call me unless you have something reasonable to say. Don't make me block your number. Bye." Without waiting for a response, she hung up and turned around.

She apologized again to Shin then glanced at the window. "Since the rain doesn't look like it's letting out, would you mind if I sat here and took a quick look at your client's comments?"



***





Ji Won rubbed her temples and groaned. "Does your client really expect me to do double work? This is ridiculous," she said, reading some of the comments on the sheet. Some of them were valid but most had been rudely phrased. She could understand him being upset by her critiques but he certainly didn't have to be so rude about it. She fell back into her chair and hung her head back in resignation. "I really don't even understand writers and their egos. Doesn't he understand that I'm trying to help him?"

"He does," Shin said watching her closely, "but you also have to remember that you're not editing a cookbook. Maybe you should approach things from a more realistic angle."

Ji Won ignored his comment and flipped over to the next page. "If you don't mind, I'll like to look over this carefully and hand it back to you today. I really don't want to take this back with me. And I hope your client understands I won't be editing each draft twice."

Shin wanted to mention that if she edited each draft properly the first time, there wouldn't be a need for her redo it but all he said was, "Okay."

"Uhm, if you don't mind, I'll like to take a look at this now," she reminded him.

Taking that as his cue to leave, after offering her a drink she refused, he walked over to the living room and switched on the television. As he lay sprawled on the couch, she stayed sitting at the table, and for the next ten or so minutes, the only sounds they heard came from the television and the rain beating against the windows.



After she left, Shin picked up the manuscript she'd returned to him and read the note she'd scribbled at the bottom of the last page:





Mr. Yoon,

How are you doing? I hope all is well and I wish you a speedy recovery.

I read your comments and since we can't speak, I'll respond here.

For starters, I love your work and think that your story is interesting. I'm quite a thorough editor so please, don't mistake my suggestions for insults.

So far, I've noticed a few things about your writing. Since it's a first person POV narration, as you can see, a lot of my comments relate to wanting to 'feel' a bit more of your personality. By rearranging some words and suggesting you expand or contract on some parts, all I'm trying to do is make your writing sparkle.

I don't expect you to start editing till you've finished with your first draft but I only made those suggestions so that you can keep them in mind as you write.

I respect your immense talent so please don't take my comments as a slight or judgment against your writing. The simple fact is that I want us to come up with the best work we've both done so far. Isn't that what every author wants to achieve with every new book? Your name will be on the cover of this book and I just want to help you make it the best it can be. I am more than willing to explain my reasoning and you definitely don't have to incorporate all my suggestions in your rewrite but please be open-minded and flexible and maybe you'll see that some of my comments make sense.

Please, let's both be courteous to each other so that we can have a pleasurable and memorable working experience together.

Take care,

Ji Won.



Shin re-read the note and shook his head. Then he laughed. She sure did know how to be diplomatic about calling him out on his tantrum. Even though he'd been angered by her edits, he did have to grudgingly admit that some of what she's suggested had made a lot of sense. Even though he'd yet to write any new chapters, he picked up a piece of paper and scribbled his reply to her:





Miss Na (may I call you Ji Won)?

You sure know how to put a man in his place. After reading your note, I guess I'd better shut up and take it like a man, huh?

Please excuse my childishness. My ego was bruised by your very busy blue pen. I hope you didn't get carpal tunnel from all that slashing. Please understand that my writing ability gets exalted by everyone (except disgruntled readers on amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com and every other online bookstore) and your comments reminded me so much of my first hate mail. Okay, my first 100 hate mails. I really don't want to get into it right now but let's just say that it wasn't pretty. But yes, let's work together. How are you, by the way?

Pil Suh.





When Ji Won received the next chapter from Shin, she hadn't been expecting to receive a reply from him and as she was still a few chapters behind, had only seen it by chance. On the next chapter she returned, she scribbled:





Mr. Yoon,

I'm glad we're on the same page. How am I, you asked? Well, I woke up this morning with a huge headache but when I remembered that I had millions of your chapters to edit, I took enough painkillers to last me till the next millennium. Not that I don't love reading your work but don't you rest? Maybe take a break from all that writing and maybe paint. Or do some woodwork. Heck, needlework if you're so inclined. smile.gif I hope you're taking things easy. The only people who call me Miss Na are bill collectors so yes, call me Ji Won.

Ji Won.





Miss Na Ji Won,

First of all, stop calling me "Mr. Yoon." I know I am old but you don't have to keep pointing it out. Pil Suh is fine or Suh if you're feeling lazy. Or just P if you're really, really lazy or need a break after all that editing. So I shall call you Ji Won. It's such a cute name and if you don't mind my saying, fits the owner to a T.

Pil Suh.





P… oh gosh, I'm too tired to write your full name out wink.gif,

If I said "Pil Suh" fit its owner to a T, would that be considered an insult? Hahaha. Just kidding. I apologize for not editing the chapters at the rate you write but I must confess that I do not have super-strength. I just read the chapter about your mother leaving you with your great-grandma's friends after her death and I must admit that I got quite teary. And what made it worse was that you didn't even know she was your mother at the time. From your tone, I suspect that you've since forgiven her. How did you manage to do that? How long did it take? And while you were angry at her, did you still love her? And at one point, did you think that you'd never forgive her? I'm sorry for asking so many questions and if you think I'm being too nosy, please don't answer them and forgiven me.

Ji Won.





Ji Won,

I must say that I've never really held any grudge against my biological mother because by the time I realized who she was, I already knew why she'd left me with my grandmother and in a few chapters, you'll know it too. Well, that's not completely true. I did resent her for a while but I got over it. How? By realizing that my anger couldn't erase the past. Once that sunk in, I moved on. It probably helped that I was also very young, and as you know, everything is far less complicated when you're a child. I won't ask why you're curious because I'm sure it's too personal for you to share.

Now, for something more lighthearted, what is, "please… forgiven me?" You call yourself an editor and you're making more literary blunders than I (or is it, 'than me' Madam Editor, or is it Editoress?) I urge you to read, reread and read again every single word you write to me. I will not accept such sloppiness!

Pil Suh.



Pil Suh,

I apologize, your highness. Madan Editoress apologizes for such a huge blunder. I would explain it all to you, something about a dog and my homework but I suspect you're not interested in hearing how that 'n' snuck in there.

Moving on. Something I've always wondered…



After Shin read the rest of her note, he sat back in his computer chair and stared at the ceiling. In the past few days, receiving more notes from her had been his sole motivation for completing new chapters. What exactly was happening? And was it even normal to be so excited by a few scribbles at the bottom of an 8 by 11 sheet of paper?





***



"I take it that Pil Suh is your type?" Shin asked as he walked alongside Ji Won.

Ji Won was far too interested in reading the contents of the brown envelope he'd just given to her to pay attention to his question.

By now, they'd been exchanging notes for more than two weeks and it had gotten so bad that she usually read them before even looking at his chapters. They'd graduated from short paragraphs to pages and pages of letters and it had been a while any of those additional notes had referred to anything remotely related to writing. She still enjoyed reading and editing his work but those little notes were like caramel on top of her sundae – very sweet and it made her feel all gooey on the inside.

She understood that she was slowly falling for the guy but didn't think that anything would come out of it, not really. After all, he was a huge star, and even though he wasn't conventionally handsome, he could probably still get any woman he wanted.

Besides, it wasn't her style to mix business with pleasure, even though, so far, they'd somehow managed to find a mix that worked. Maybe it had a lot to do with the fact it was entirely in text form so it was a somewhat fantastical flirtation – one where they didn't meet or speak. One where she was at home and he was stuck in rehab. She didn't see how it could turn into something real but she was determined to enjoy it for as long as possible.

"So is he your type?" Shin repeated.

Her relationship with Shin almost didn't exist these days because there rarely met for longer than a few minutes as they simply just exchanged envelopes and parted. She found it a little humorous that now she was into reading his client's letters, her attraction to him seemed to wane.


Ji Won looked at him curiously. "What are you talking about?"

Shin looked away. Okay, ever since they'd begun to exchange letters, all those fantasies about trying to avenge his pride had pretty much disappeared. Now, the only thing that could get his mind off wanting to kiss her senselessly, was writing like a demon. But unfortunately (or fortunately?), more writing meant he got to see her often which meant constantly fighting the urge to grab and kiss her till her lips swelled up.

On one hand, he wanted to reveal his true identity so they could stop the World War I-style correspondence and really get to know each other properly. But on the other hand, he had this nagging feeling that she probably only liked "Pil Suh the writer" because she barely acknowledged "Shin" whenever they met. All she cared about was receiving the new chapter and opening up to the last few pages to make sure Pil Suh had sent a new letter.

"Are you going to answer me today?" she asked impatiently, her eyes darting from his face to the chapter in her hand.

Shin ran a nervous hand through the back of his hair and with the other, pointed at the envelope. "I just figured," he said shrugging, "that maybe you liked him a little?"

"How's that any of your business? And why are you reading my stuff?" she asked, immediately holding the envelope to her stomach protectively. "This is private, you know. Please don't read it."

Shin tried to ignore her dismissive tone. "It's not a big deal. I was just curious about the type of guys you like. I guess you like the older, more mature type?"

"Older type? What are you talking—" Her word were cut short by the sight of Joon Young's father. "Abonim," she said, breaking into a smile. She excused herself from Shin, walked over and hugged him.

"Daughter-in-law, how are you?" he teased, hugging her. He'd been out for lunch when he spotted her talking to a tall man in front of a coffee shop. Since he still hoped she'd get back with his son, he'd decided to investigate her relationship with this man. He looked at Shin curiously. "And who might this be?"

"Oh, he's my writer's agent," she said, flinging her empty hand and not looking at him. After both men exchanged pleasantries, she said, "How have you been doing, Abonim? How was your trip?"

"It was lovely," he said, relieved that she was still single. He glanced at Shin who was now frowning then turned back to her. "We all need to go to the country every now and then to remember what it feels like to breathe fresh air. Oh, by the way," he said, pulling her aside, "my stupid son says you guys have been talking again."

Ji Won frowned. "About what?" She glanced at Shin and waved. "Hey, I guess I'll see you later. Call me when Pil Suh's got a new chapter," she said before walking off with Joon Young's father.



***



"What's so funny?" Kyung Ho asked Ji Won.

She looked up from the sheet of Pil Suh's latest letter and smiled. "Nothing. It's just that Suh was telling me a funny story about something that happened to him on a flight to Amsterdam." She leaned forward to him. "So what happened—"

Kyung Ho raised his hand. "Dude, I'm not interested in hearing it. Honestly, I am not interested in hearing any of his stories. As fun as you think they might be, trust me, they aren't. It's probably why Mi Na isn't here yet – she's trying to avoid hearing you recount some boring ass story about…"

Ji Won raised her hand to stop him from talking then shook her head and laughed. "Gosh, you're just jealous."

"Yes, I'm jealous that I am not in a letter-writing relationship with a drug addict? Yeah, you got me," he said, hissing.

All traces of humor left her. "He's not a drug addict. He used to be. Jin Mo told me that he didn't really lapse. Just that he got stressed about working with a new editor and as a result, had very strong craving. He knew he was in danger so he checked himself into the clinic."

Kyung Ho rolled his eyes. "You sure know how to pick 'em. I can't believe you're trying to justify drug abuse."

"How am I justifying anything? And what's your problem? You never had a negative word to say about Joon Young the whole time we were dating so what's this crap about how I know how to pick them? And what's wrong with Suh? You've never even met him and you've already judged him," she said, getting more incensed with every passing moment. And it didn't help that Kyung Ho's sarcastic, bored expression didn't appear to be leaving anytime soon.

"This guy has been honest from the beginning and I think he's sweet," she continued. "What's the big deal? I'm sure nothing will ever come out of it but can I at least have a little fun without you judging me? He's short, chubby, older than I'd like, but he's a successful man who's trying to take responsibility for his life! Why in the world does he deserve your derision? Why?"

Kyung Ho watched her temper rise with increasing interest. He didn't say anything and instead just stared at her.

Ji Won for her part, glared back at him till her face softened as she realized that she'd just let out a mini-tirade.

Kyung Ho remained silent for a few moments before chuckling and saying, "Do you really like him this much?"

Ji Won sighed and hung her head in shame. Did she really like a man she'd only met once? "Yes," she replied sheepishily.

No comments: